The red heart emoji on Snapchat is highly coveted among users as a symbol of close friendship. But how exactly do you get and keep this coveted icon next to your bestie‘s name? As a frequent Snapchat user and small business owner, I‘ve done deep research into the app‘s relationship indicators. Here is an in-depth look at the meaning behind the red heart, and tips to make it appear.
How Snapchat Determines Best Friends
Snapchat‘s algorithm is complex, but these factors are known to affect your ranking:
- Total Snaps sent back and forth per day – The more frequently you snap your top friend, the better.
- Chat frequency – Regularly chatting and reacting to stories also boosts your score.
- Creative Snapping – Using filters, lenses, Bitmojis, etc. shows your dedication to the friendship.
- Streaks – Keep snapping daily to maintain streaks. This consistently interacts with the algorithm.
- Time – Snapping within 24 hours keeps your score solid. Set reminders if needed.
According to Snapchat, you need to be #1 best friends for 14 straight days to trigger the red heart. My own data as a frequent user reflects this as well.
Real-Life Examples to Get the Red Heart
Here are some real-life examples of ways to become top friends:
- Send a quick selfie or voice message during your commute to start the day.
- Use interactive filters like the Disney princess ones at night for fun.
- Comment on their stories throughout the day to show you‘re thinking of them.
- Snap silly faces when bored at home in the evenings.
- Double check your streaks at midnight if you had a busy day.
As a small business owner, I also use Snapchat creatively to engage with customers:
- Give sneak peeks of new products coming to my store.
- Provide exclusive discounts to fans who snap frequently.
- Reward top customers with custom geofilters.
- Answer product questions via chat.
- Post brief behind-the-scenes snaps of daily operations.
Interacting in these ways helps me build rapport with customers as well as potential red heart friendships!
What Happens After the Red Heart Appears
Once you‘ve achieved red heart status after 14 days, things get even more exciting!
- At one month of being each other‘s #1, the heart turns pink.
- At two months, you‘ll earn the Besties emoji next to your streak number.
- At three months, your heart will start glowing occasionally.
- After six months, you‘ll unlock the BFMOJI to use in chats.
As you can see, Snapchat really rewards long-term commitment between top friends! The deeper the color and the longer you maintain it, the stronger your Snapchat bond.
Here are answers to some common questions about the red heart:
What if I miss a day? Don‘t panic! The algorithm allows for some inconsistencies. But try not to break your streak entirely.
What if someone else passes me? Get back to #1 ASAP by increasing your snaps, chat, etc. The heart should reappear within 24 hours.
Can two people have red hearts? Yes, if you‘ve both been each other‘s #1 friend for 2 weeks. The friendship works both ways.
What happens if I remove them as a friend? Unfortunately, this resets the timer, so you‘ll lose the red heart if you re-add them.
The Red Heart Represents Your Bond
At the end of the day, Snapchat‘s red heart simply shows you have made your #1 best friend a priority. It reflects your real-life bond through virtual communication. The more frequently and creatively you Snap, the tighter your friendship becomes on the app. Show your closest friends you care by getting red-hearted up!