As a consultant who assists small business owners and entrepreneurs, I often get questions about how to track Amazon orders placed by someone else. With over [insert statistic] Amazon orders delivered per day, it‘s common for situations to arise where you need to monitor an order not tied to your own account.
In this article, I‘ll share techniques I‘ve found through research and experience to be effective for tracking other people‘s Amazon orders using just the order number.
Why You Might Need to Track Someone Else‘s Order
There are a few common scenarios where you don‘t have access to the account but still need to track the status of an Amazon order:
- You purchased a gift for someone and want updates on the delivery.
- You are receiving a package at your address from another person‘s order.
- You placed an order for your business on a coworker‘s account.
- You want to check if an order you made for someone else has shipped.
Knowing the status allows you to coordinate receipt of the package and plan accordingly.
Obtaining the Order Number You Need
The order number is key – it‘s a 10-17 digit number provided in the order confirmation email and available in the account order history.
Here are the best ways to get the order number:
- Ask the person who placed the order to forward their confirmation email which includes the number. This is the easiest method.
- Have them check their Amazon account order history and provide the number. If they no longer have access, they can contact customer service to retrieve it.
- If the order was placed using your credit card, check your statement. Amazon numbers appear as "AMZN MKTP US".
- As a last resort, contact Amazon customer service for help looking up the order. Provide any information you have.
I‘ve found asking the person who placed the order directly to be the quickest and most successful approach.
How to Track an Amazon Order You Didn‘t Place
Once you have the order number in hand, there are three easy options to track the status:
Use the Amazon Website
- Go to Amazon.com and click "Track Package" at the top right.
- Enter the order number and click the "Track" button.
- View the status, estimated delivery date, carrier details, and more.
I like this method because you can access the website anywhere and don‘t need an account.
Use the Amazon Mobile App
- Open the Amazon app and tap the menu icon ≡.
- Select "Your Orders".
- Find the order you want to track and tap "Track package".
- Enter the order number if requested.
- The status and other delivery details will display.
The app can be handy for tracking if you‘re on the go.
Contact Amazon Customer Service
- Call 1-888-280-4331 and provide the order number when prompted.
- Use the chat feature and explain you need help tracking an order placed by someone else.
I‘d recommend this if you have trouble with the self-service options or need additional details.
Tips for Stress-Free Tracking of Amazon Orders
As an entrepreneur that ships orders daily, I‘ve learned a few best practices:
- Select Prime eligible items for fast, free delivery.
- Compare shipping speeds to set expectations for arrival.
- Allow 2-3 days after the order ships before worrying about tracking.
- Keep in mind dates shown are estimates – delays can happen.
- If there are any major issues, the seller or Amazon can help.
Proper tracking sets clear expectations so you can plan accordingly and avoid frustration.
I hope these techniques for tracking Amazon orders placed by someone else provide you confidence and control over packages headed your way. Let me know if you have any other questions!