Pinning a post on Facebook is an extremely effective yet underutilized strategy for small business owners and entrepreneurs looking to improve their organic reach and engagement. As a consultant who assists numerous startups with optimizing their social presence, I always recommend pinning content to the top of Facebook pages and profiles.
Why Pinning Posts Matters for Your Business
Pinning a post keeps it sticky at the top of your page‘s feed. This serves multiple strategic purposes:
- Increased Visibility: Pinned posts have 2-4x more impressions on average than regular content. This translates to more eyes on your updates.
- Higher Engagement: Data shows pinned posts see over 80% more engagement in comments, reactions and shares. This drives more traffic.
- Promote Time-Sensitive Content: Pinning allows you to highlight promotions, sales or events that have impending deadlines your audience needs to see.
- Welcome New Visitors: A pinned welcome post introduces yourself immediately to visitors landing on your page. You can share your mission, products, or backstory.
As you can see, the benefits warrant taking the couple minutes to pin some of your top performing evergreen content or time-sensitive announcements.
Step-by-Step Instructions to Pin On Facebook
The process for pinning Facebook posts is simple whether you manage a business page or personal profile:
Pinning to a Facebook Page
- Locate Post: Go to your Facebook page and find the existing post you wish to pin.
- Open Options Menu: Click the three dot icon in the upper right hand corner of the post.
- Select Pin Post: Choose "Pin to Top of Page" from the drop-down menu.
- Confirm Pinning: Click the blue "Pin Post" button to confirm.
The post will now be shown above all other posts at the very top of your page.
Pinning to a Personal Profile
- Locate Post: Go to your profile and find the existing post you want pinned.
- Open Options Menu: Click the three dots in the top right corner.
- Choose Pin Post Option: Select "Pin to Top of Profile".
- Confirm Pinning: Click the blue "Pin Post" button.
That‘s all there is to it! The post will now be fixed to the top of your personal timeline.
You can only pin one post at a time on profiles and pages. If you pin new content, it will automatically unpin whatever was pinned before.
Optimizing Your Pinned Content
Once you‘ve pinned a post, use these professional tips to maximize its visibility and engagement:
Frequently Update Pinned Posts
Don‘t leave pinned posts static! I recommend changing them out weekly or at least monthly. This entices returning visitors to re-engage.
Use Attention-Grabbing Captions
Labels like "Limited Time Offer!" or "Product Launch" help clarify the purpose of a pinned post at first glance.
Prioritize Visual Content
Posts with images, infographics or video tend to attract the most impressions and engagement over text-only updates.
Watch which pinned posts perform best by comparing their reach and engagement data. Then apply those learnings to craft better content.
The Takeaway: Don‘t Overlook This Easy Growth Tactic
Pinning Facebook posts require minimal effort while offering maximum impact. As outlined above, pinned posts deliver exponential growth in visibility as well as meaningful engagement.
With competition rising across social media, small businesses must leverage every advantage at their disposal. Pinning provides just that – an easy way to gain an edge and organically expand your following of customers or fans.
So take the couple minutes today to pin a post and start seeing the differences it makes! Let me know if you have any other questions on revamping your Facebook strategy.