Leveraging Pinned Posts on Facebook for Your Small Business

As a small business owner, making your Facebook page stand out is crucial for engaging customers and driving growth. One valuable but often overlooked tool is pinning posts.

Pinning allows you to highlight important updates like new products, events, promos, etc. at the top of your page where followers can‘t miss them. Used strategically, pinned posts can be a game changer for your small business marketing.

Here’s a step-by-step guide to pinning posts, along with my best advice as a marketing consultant to small businesses on how to maximize pinned content.

How to Pin a Post on Facebook

Pinning a post is simple:

1. Log in to your business page and navigate to the post you want to pin. This can be a status, photo, video, or any type of update.
  2. Click the three dots in the upper right corner of the post.
  3. Select "Pin to Top of Page" from the dropdown menu.
  4. You‘ll get a confirmation the post is now pinned. It will stay pinned until you unpin it or pin another post.

Here’s a quick video walkthrough:

You‘re limited to one pinned post at a time, so be selective about the most important content to pin.

Key Benefits of Pinning for Small Business

As a consultant to entrepreneurs, I‘ve seen pinned posts provide huge value for small business pages when used strategically. Here are some of the top perks:

• Highlight Promotions: Pin posts about sales, coupons and special offers to get more eyes on them.
  • Boost Event Awareness: Ensure event details and registration info are highly visible.
  • Show Off Milestones: Celebrate wins like anniversary posts and awards with a pinned post.
  • Establish Thought Leadership: Share ebooks, whitepapers and other authoritative content.
  • Increase Engagement: Pinned posts can get more attention, reactions, and shares.

Best Practices for Small Business Owners

Based on my experience, here are my top tips for maximizing pinned content:

• Update Frequently: Repin fresh content every 1-2 weeks for the best visibility.
  • Use Eye-Catching Visuals: Images and video help pinned posts stand out.
  • Write Clear Headlines: Summarize key details to capture attention.
  • Time Sensitive Content: Promote events and offers far enough in advance.
  • Track Performance: Monitor likes, comments, clicks and engagement.
  • Match Content to Goals: Pin content that aligns with your current marketing goals.

Limitations to Consider

While powerful, pinned posts do have a few limitations to keep in mind:

• Not in News Feeds: They only appear to visitors who come directly to your page.
  • Won‘t Reach All Followers: People have to scroll up to view pinned posts.
  • Reduced Mobile Visibility: They display differently on mobile devices and apps.
  • Can‘t Pin in Groups: The feature only works on Pages and Profiles.

That‘s why I recommend pinning as one piece of your overall social media puzzle for small businesses, not the only tactic you rely on. Combine it with both free and paid strategies to maximize reach and results.

I hope this guide gives you ideas on how to make the most of Facebook‘s pinning capabilities. Let me know if you have any other questions!