How Many People Are in the Metaverse in 2024? A Small Business Consultant‘s Perspective

As a consultant dedicated to helping small and medium businesses thrive, I‘m often asked about new technologies on the horizon. One topic generating a lot of buzz is the "metaverse" – but how many people are actually participating in this new iteration of the internet? In this article, we‘ll explore the latest metaverse user statistics and trends to understand its current and future impact.

Over 400 Million Monthly Active Metaverse Users Globally

According to the latest report from Bloomberg, there are over 400 million monthly active users interacting in metaverse environments as of early 2023. To put this in perspective, global social media users surpassed 5 billion in 2024, so the metaverse still has room for major growth in terms of mainstream adoption.

But while 400 million global users is still a niche, we are seeing rapid expansion in metaverse participation across gaming, social, and enterprise use cases:

• Roblox – 200 million monthly active users
  • Fortnite – 80 million monthly active users
  • VR headsets – 30 million monthly active users
  • Meta Horizon Worlds – hundreds of thousands of monthly active users
  • Microsoft Mesh – over 250,000 monthly active users
  • VRChat – 35,000 concurrent daily users

Metaverse Usage Trends Show Exponential Growth Potential

When we analyze the growth trends over the past few years, metaverse usage appears to be expanding exponentially rather than linearly.

For example, according to Meta the number of Horizon Worlds users doubled from 200,000 in October 2021 to over 500,000 by February 2022. Microsoft Mesh also saw a 400% increase in monthly active users in 2024.

At this pace, we could realistically see the total global metaverse population reach 1 billion or more in the next 5 years as both consumer and enterprise adoption accelerates.

Year Metaverse Users Growth
2021 ~200 million
2022 ~400 million 100%
2023 ~800 million 100%
2024 1.6 billion 100%

Table showing hypothetical exponential metaverse user growth over time

Current and Future Metaverse Use Cases for Businesses

As a consultant for small businesses, I often get asked – how can companies leverage the metaverse today and in the coming years? Some of the key current and emerging business use cases I‘ve observed include:

Virtual offices and meetings – companies like Meta and Microsoft enable collaborated meetings and workspace in VR/AR

Immersive trainings – offer trainees practice in realistic 3D simulated environments

Digital events and conferences – attend interactive virtual events with personalized avatars

Virtual storefronts – create an engaging branded retail experience without physical footprint

Digital product demos – showcase products in 3D, allowing customers to interact naturally

3D design previews – architects, engineers, developers can collaborate on 3D models together in real-time

Virtual tourism – travel providers can offer immersive destination previews

Healthcare applications – provide virtual rehabilitation programs tailored to patients

The possibilities are truly endless as the technology matures over time. But for now, I generally recommend small businesses focus on integrating basic AR try-ons or digital events to get comfortable. As devices, connectivity, and content creation tools improve, even deeper metaverse engagement will become viable for businesses of all sizes in the future.

Perspective from a Small Business Consultant

As an advisor to entrepreneurs and startups across industries, I keep a close eye on emerging technologies like the metaverse to understand their potential impact.

Based on my experience, small businesses are still uncertain about the benefits of the metaverse for them specifically. The technology remains somewhat abstract and futurescape for many owners used to digital marketing on existing social platforms.

However, I anticipate companies will steadily expand their comfort with and presence in the metaverse in the coming 2-5 years. As headsets become mainstream consumer devices and interoperability improves, the metaverse will offer small businesses tangible new ways to reach customers, showcase products, and collaborate with remote workers.

My advice is to start learning the metaverse landscape now – explore a few leading platforms, build out a basic digital avatar, and track use case developments. Stay focused on your core business priorities day-to-day, but plant seeds today to reap the benefits further down the road.

The Future Looks Bright for Mass Metaverse Adoption

While still early, all signs point to mass consumer and enterprise adoption of the metaverse over the next decade. As virtual worlds become more immersive and interconnected, I expect usage to grow exponentially. Within 5 years, we could realistically see 1 billion or more global metaverse users.

For small business owners, my key takeaways are:

• Monitor metaverse developments relevant to your industry
  • Experiment with basic metaverse activations today
  • Prepare for deeper strategic integration in the coming years
  • Focus on real business value, not just hype, when allocating resources

The metaverse holds incredible potential, but remains an emerging technology. As your trusted business consultant, I‘m here to help you navigate these shifts and leverage new innovations like the metaverse to successfully grow your company for the future. Let‘s connect to discuss your goals and next steps!