As a small business owner who live streams marketing events and product demonstrations, having easy access to my recorded broadcasts is crucial for repurposing content. But a common frustration Streamlabs users face is finding where their recordings get saved on their computer or external drive.
Through extensive testing and research as an entrepreneur and streamer, I‘ve uncovered the default save locations for Streamlabs OBS recordings on both Windows and Mac. Read on for a detailed guide to locating your captured streaming footage.
Default Recording Save Folders in Streamlabs
When you first install Streamlabs OBS, it automatically saves recordings to a preset folder on your local hard drive. Here‘s exactly where to find it:
On Windows machines, recordings get saved to:
So for example, my recordings are stored in:
For Mac users, the default save folder is:
In my case:
The Library folder is hidden by default on Mac, so you‘ll need to unhide it to access this location.
Having trouble finding your recordings? Follow the exact steps below for your operating system:
- Open File Explorer
- Paste in the default file path above, replacing "YourUsername" with your account name
- Open the Streamlabs folder to see your recordings
- In Finder, hit Command+Shift+G to bring up the "Go To" dialog
- Paste in the default Mac file path above
- Hit "Go" and your Finder window will open the Streamlabs folder containing recordings
Customizing the Save Location
As a streamer with limited disk space, I always change the default save folder to an external hard drive. Here‘s how to customize it:
- In Streamlabs OBS, click "Settings"
- Go to "Output"
- Under "Recordings" click "Browse" next to "Save to:"
- Choose your preferred save location and click "OK"
Now your recordings will be stored in the new defined spot.
Extra Recording Options
In addition to full stream archives, Streamlabs provides handy tools like:
- Replay Buffer: Records the last few minutes of live playback.
- Highlights: Lets you clip highlights while streaming.
- Record: Records gameplay and overlays without streaming live.
I take advantage of the Highlights feature to quickly pull clips for my YouTube highlights reel after an event. Be sure to check out these recording options for your specific streaming needs!
Streamlabs vs Other Recording Software
While Streamlabs is my personal choice for its intuitive interface, other streaming programs like OBS Studio also allow local recording and have slightly different default save spots.
As a small business owner without a dedicated IT team, I find Streamlabs strikes the right balance of customization options without being overly complex to manage recordings. But explore all available software and use what works best for your live streaming workflow!
Tips for Organizing Recordings
With large streaming archives, getting organized is a must. Here are my top tips:
- Keep recordings on fast external SSD drives rather than local storage
- Create a folder structure to categorize streams by date, event, or game
- Add filenames like "2022-10-15 Overwatch Tournament Stream" for easy searching
- Use software like VLC media player to preview and manage recordings
Tagging recordings and storing them systematically saves me hours of digging when I need to find footage for social media clips and other repurposing.
As a streamer and entrepreneur myself, I know how crucial it is to have easy access to archived broadcasts for creating marketing assets and more unique content. Follow this guide to unlock the default recording save folders in Streamlabs OBS.
The key insights to help you never lose a Streamlabs recording again:
- Default locations are in Videos > Streamlabs on Windows, and Library/Application Support/Streamlabs on Mac
- Customize the save folder in Settings to fit your storage needs
- Use tools like Highlights and Replay Buffer for quick clips
- Organize with a structured naming/folder convention for efficiency
Now you have the knowledge to save broadcasts for repurposing and avoid that "lost recording" panic from happening ever again. Stream on with confidence!