As a consultant dedicated to helping small businesses thrive, I‘ve seen countless SaaS companies deprioritize technical SEO amidst competing marketing priorities. Many underestimate its significant impact in driving growth. My goal with this comprehensive guide is to demystify technical SEO and demonstrate why optimizing it should be a priority for your SaaS marketing strategy.
Why Does Technical SEO Get Overlooked?
With limited resources, SaaS marketers often focus their time and budget on content production, social media, and paid channels. But this comes at the expense of optimizing behind-the-scenes website elements that dramatically affect performance.
Here are some common reasons technical SEO flies under the radar:
- Lack of expertise: Many don‘t have in-house technical SEO knowledge to diagnose and implement fixes.
- Competing priorities: Content and social media marketing are more visible and immediately rewarding.
- Misconceptions: Some assume technical SEO is just IT‘s responsibility or that content is all that matters.
- Deferred investment: Technical SEO doesn‘t seem as urgent as acquiring customers through other channels.
But the data shows that neglecting technical SEO is a missed growth opportunity.
The Powerful Impact of Technical SEO
Optimizing technical SEO levers provides compounding benefits that boost your overall marketing performance:
- Sites with faster load speeds achieve up to 250% more organic traffic .
- Pages optimized for mobile have a 53% lower bounce rate on average .
- Websites using schema markup attain 30% more clicks from search results .
- Pages ranked on the first SERP position gain 12x more traffic than tenth-ranked spots .
The collective impact of technical SEO on higher organic rankings, lower bounce rates, and increased clicks is more leads and conversions.
So while less glamorous than social media, solidifying your technical SEO foundations pays dividends.
Technical SEO Best Practices for SaaS Sites
As your SaaS marketing consultant, here are my top recommended technical SEO tips based on frequently assisting growing businesses:
Website Speed Optimization
- Set a speed budget and routinely monitor page load times. Aim for < 3 seconds on mobile.
- Minify HTML, CSS, JS files to eliminate excess code and reduce filesize.
- Compress images and enable lazy loading to improve load times.
- Enable browser caching so assets don‘t unnecessarily re-download.
- Fix broken links that impair crawling and lead to 404 errors.
- Adopt responsive web design to adapt layouts across devices.
- Size tap targets appropriately for fat finger-friendly navigation.
- Avoid interstitials and opt for mobile-friendly alternatives.
- Limit blocking requests like JS that delay page load.
Optimizing Site Architecture
- Use descriptive page titles and URLs with target keywords.
- Implement breadcrumb navigation to ease site usability.
- Ensure crawlability by minimizing duplicate content issues.
- Correct 404 errors by redirecting or removing outdated pages.
Schema Markup Implementation
- Prioritize Product and SoftwareApplication schema for SaaS sites.
- Mark up FAQ pages using FAQPage schema to boost rankings.
- Add aggregate ratings and reviews using Rating and Review snippets.
- Use page-level meta descriptions for customized search snippets.
Link Building Opportunities
- Publish guest posts on reputable SaaS publications like Product Hunt and Indie Hackers.
- Contribute expert insights to niche forums and online communities relevant to your product.
- Promote branded mentions earned on other sites using Link Insertion in Search Console.
Start Prioritizing Technical SEO Today
As a fellow small business owner, I understand how challenging it can be to balance competing priorities with limited time and resources. But the data clearly shows that optimizing your technical SEO provides tremendous upside for your SaaS marketing strategy with compounding benefits over time.
While less glamorous than pumping out content and social media posts, dedicating focus to improving website speed, mobile optimization, architecture, schema markup and links will pay dividends through increased organic traffic, lower bounce rates, more leads, and ultimately, higher revenue.
Technical SEO is the important infrastructure that bolsters the rest of your digital marketing efforts. I hope this guide provided you value and gave you ideas on how to prioritize it moving forward. Feel free to reach out if you need any help implementing these best practices for your SaaS business!