With over 1 billion monthly active users, Instagram remains one of the most popular social apps worldwide. But to take full advantage of the platform, it‘s essential to keep the Instagram app up-to-date on your device.
New updates can introduce exciting features, improvements, and bug fixes. However, some users may be hesitant to update for fear of disruptive changes.
In this comprehensive guide, I‘ll explain why you should keep Instagram updated, walk through the update process for both iPhones and Androids, and provide troubleshooting tips for any issues that arise.
Why Regular Instagram Updates Matter
Here are some of the key reasons it‘s important to update Instagram regularly:
- Access New Features: Updates often add new filters, editing tools, options for profiles, messaging capabilities, and more. Without updating, you‘ll miss out.
- Performance Enhancements: Updates include under-the-hood improvements to speed, loading times, refresh rates, and overall optimization. This leads to a smoother experience.
- Bug Fixes: Developers constantly work to patch bugs that cause crashes, freezes, lag, or other glitches. Updates fix these annoying problems.
- Security Patches: Hackers look for vulnerabilities, so updates provide vital security patches to keep your account and information safe.
- Staying Current: With over 500 million daily active Instagrammers, you don‘t want to get left behind running an outdated version others aren‘t using.
According to Instagram‘s changelog, the latest updates in 2023 have introduced features like reminders to take breaks, more Reels editing tools, user control preferences, and enhancements to accessibility.
Updating takes just a few minutes, so you can access these useful new capabilities right away.
Step-by-Step Guide to Updating on iPhone
Updating Instagram on your iPhone only takes a few steps:
- Launch the App Store.
- Tap your profile picture in the top right corner.
- Scroll down and select Available Updates.
- Find Instagram and tap Update.
- Enter your Apple ID password if prompted.
- The update will begin installing. Be patient and keep the app open.
- Once complete, Instagram will relaunch automatically with the new version enabled.
I recommend enabling automatic app updates in your Settings to save time. Just go to Settings > App Store > App Updates and turn on "Install App Updates."
Step-by-Step Guide to Updating on Android
For Android devices, updating Instagram is very similar:
- Open the Google Play Store app.
- Tap the hamburger menu in the top left corner.
- Select My Apps & Games.
- Under "Updates," find Instagram and tap Update.
- The new version will download and install automatically.
- Once finished, open Instagram to use the updated app.
You can also enable auto-updates by going to Settings > Apps & Notifications > Advanced > Auto-update apps.
Tips for a Smooth Update Process
To ensure your Instagram update is fast and headache-free, keep these tips in mind:
- Update over a stable WiFi connection for faster speeds. Mobile data may take longer or fail.
- Close all other apps and tabs to maximize bandwidth.
- Charge your device fully or keep it plugged in during the update to prevent shutdown.
- Clear storage space if your phone is low – updates require free space.
- Write down login details in case the update logs you out.
- Back up your photos in case any are lost or changed.
- Be patient and wait for the "Optimizing App" process to finish.
- Troubleshoot update failures by restarting your device or reinstalling Instagram.
Troubleshooting Common Instagram Update Problems
If you encounter issues updating Instagram, here are some troubleshooting steps to resolve them:
- Retry over a stronger WiFi or cellular data connection.
- Restart your iPhone or Android device and try updating again.
- Check you have enough free storage space for the update.
- Update iOS or Android to the latest available version.
- Reinstall Instagram to force a fresh download of the new update.
- Clear app cache and data before updating to remove corrupt files.
- Contact Instagram support through the app if problems persist.
- Check the Instagram Status page for any known widespread issues.
With some persistence and the right troubleshooting, you can usually resolve most update problems. The key is not ignoring error messages and being willing to retry.
Regularly updating Instagram ensures you have all the latest features and improvements at your fingertips. It only takes a minute, so stay on top of new versions as they are released. Enable automatic updates if you want the process to be even simpler.
Hopefully this guide has equipped you with the steps and knowledge needed to smoothly update Instagram on both iPhones and Android devices. Keeping the app current will provide you with the optimal experience and avoid any update-related issues.