As a consultant who assists entrepreneurs with social media marketing, I often get asked about the best practices for using platforms like Snapchat. One common question is: how do you unblock someone on Snapchat?
Whether you‘re a solopreneur or own a small team, unblocking people on this app can be necessary for communicating with customers, clients, or business connections. Don‘t worry – the process is straightforward. But let‘s explore some context first.
Why Unblocking Matters for Small Businesses
Over 25% ofSnapchat‘s daily active users are owners and employees of small businesses. The platform drives significant opportunities:
- 33% of users have made a purchase after seeing a company‘s Snapchat story.
- 60% of users are more likely to make a purchase if a brand engages them on Snapchat.
As a small business owner, you stand lose out if someone who wants to engage with or purchase from your company is blocked.
Some other common scenarios that require unblocking include:
- Accidentally blocking a potential collaborator, customer, client, etc.
- Having a falling out with a brand ambassador who drives sales
- Blocking customers when dealing with returns/complaints but regretting it later
The key insight here is that unblocking can reopen doors that benefit your business financially or strategically. Let‘s look at how to do it.
Step-by-Step Guide to Unblocking
Unblocking someone on Snapchat only takes a few seconds. Simply follow these instructions:
Open your Snapchat app and tap your profile icon in the top left corner:
Tap the gear icon in the top right to open your Settings:
Scroll down and select "Blocked" under the Privacy section:
- Locate the username you want to unblock and tap the "X" icon next to their name
- Confirm the unblock by tapping "Yes" on the prompt
That‘s all there is to it!
What Happens When You Unblock Someone
Once you unblock an account, a few things occur:
- They are removed from your blocked list entirely
- They can search for and view your public profile again
- They can send you chat messages and snaps again
- You have the option to add them back as a friend or ignore requests
- Your private stories remain hidden until adding them back
Think of unblocking as reopening the channels of communication that were disabled with blocking. Use your best judgment in deciding whether to reconnect as Snapchat friends.
When Unblocking Might Be Risky
Generally speaking, unblocking is a drama-free process if both parties wish to restore contact.
However, you should carefully consider risks before unblocking in certain cases, like:
- The blocked person harassed or endangered you/your staff before
- You suspect the person might negatively impact your brand image
- Scammers who previously tried manipulating your customers
As always, safeguard your company by putting safety and ethical business practices first. Only unblock anticipating positive interactions.
What To Do If You‘re Still Blocked
In some cases, unblocking your end doesn‘t reopen communication. Typically that suggests:
- They blocked you too: You won‘t show up in search results for each other until someone undoes their block.
- They deleted their account: If they removed their Snapchat presence altogether, unblocking won‘t bring visibility back.
If you encounter these scenarios, your only options are having that user unblock you first or hoping they reactive their account one day.
To wrap up this small business guide to unblocking on Snapchat, remember:
- Unblocking brings back visibility and communication with an account
- It can be necessary for connecting with customers/clients
- The process only takes a few taps in your settings
- Consider risks before reconnecting with certain accounts
- You may still remain blocked if they have you blocked too
I hope this gives you clarity and confidence for managing blocked accounts and contacts as an entrepreneur. Reach out if you need any tailored guidance for building your Snapchat marketing strategy.