As a consultant helping small business owners establish an online presence, I often advise clients on social media best practices. One of the most frequent concerns I hear is privacy protection and deterring harassment.
Social platforms like Facebook, with over 2.85 billion monthly active users worldwide in 2021 according to Statista, can give your small business valuable exposure. However, oversharing also risks enabling stalking, bullying, or identity theft.
Fortunately, Facebook provides a useful "Profile Lock" feature to restrict what strangers can access. In this comprehensive guide for entrepreneurs and everyday users alike, I‘ll explain how to lock your Facebook profile and exactly what privacy protections it offers.
Why Locking Your Facebook Profile Matters
Before showing how to lock your profile, let‘s look at why this matters:
The Risks are Common
- 1 in 4 women and 1 in 6 men have experienced stalking victimization at some point during their lifetime, according to the CDC
- In 2021 alone, Facebook acted on 54.9 million cases of bullying and harassment on their platforms
Profile Locking Limits Access
Locking your profile changes settings so only your approved friends can see your full profile details. Strangers trying to access your profile when locked will encounter restrictions.
Specifically, non-friends cannot:
- View or share your posts, photos, videos or other timeline content
- See sensitive information like your hometown, current city, employer details or education history
- Access or download your cover photo and profile picture
- View where you are tagged or posts you are tagged in
Step-by-Step Guide to Lock Your Profile
Locking your profile only takes a minute. Follow these instructions:
- Tap the 3-dot menu icon in the Facebook app
- Select "Lock Profile"
- Confirm by tapping "Lock Your Profile"
You‘ll immediately see a confirmation your profile is locked.
- Visit your profile and change the URL from www.facebook.com to m.facebook.com
- Click "Edit Profile"
- Choose "Lock Profile" and confirm
It‘s that simple! Tip: Always logout fully after making security setting changes.
How Facebook Profile Locking Compares
Facebook‘s profile lock allows more flexibility than privacy features on sites like Instagram and Twitter. With Facebook‘s tool you can still:
- Message anyone
- Receive messages from anyone
- Get notifications from anyone
Whereas other platforms restrict messages to followers-only. I prefer Facebook‘s profile lock for maintaining connections while increasing privacy.
Additional Tips for Social Media Safety
Beyond profile locking, entrepreneurs and everyday users alike should adopt these social media safety best practices:
- Use unique complex passwords and enable two-factor authentication
- Frequently check and adjust privacy settings
- Be selective in what personal information you share publicly
- Ignore messages from strangers
- Report harassment, bullying and other concerns
Conclusion: Lock Your Profile to Stop Stalkers
I hope this guide gives you a new level of confidence in managing privacy risks on Facebook. Profile locking is an empowering tool providing enhanced security.
Small business owners especially can benefit since you rely heavily on social media for growth while also needing protection. As do those concerned with risks like stalking or identity theft in their personal life.
Take a few minutes today to lock your Facebook profile and take control of privacy! Let me know if you have any other questions.