As a small business owner looking to grow your brand on YouTube, enabling comments is a crucial step. Not only do comments allow you to interact with viewers, they can also help increase engagement and build a community around your channel.
In this comprehensive guide, we‘ll explore the ins and outs of managing comments as an entrepreneur so you can create a vibrant, positive environment for your audience.
Why Comments Matter for Small Business Marketing
Here are some key reasons why enabling and leveraging comments is so important for your YouTube channel and small business:
- Increase engagement: Comments signal to the YouTube algorithm that viewers are more engaged, which can boost your content in search and suggested videos.
- Gather feedback: Comments provide instant viewer feedback on your content – what they liked, what they‘d like to see, ideas for improvement.
- Build relationships: Responding to commenters and having discussions helps form connections with your audience.
- Drive traffic: Commenters clicking links in video descriptions can increase visits to your site and social media.
- Understand your niche: The comment section gives insight into what resonates most with your target audience.
According to research by BuzzSumo, videos with comments enabled see increased shares, likes, and channel subscriptions compared to those that disable comments.
Step-by-Step: How to Enable Comments on YouTube
Now let‘s dive into the step-by-step process for enabling comments in YouTube Studio. We‘ll cover both desktop and mobile options.
Accessing YouTube Studio
You‘ll manage your comment settings directly within YouTube Studio. To access it:
- Go to youtube.com/studio
- Sign in with your Google account
- You‘ll be taken to the YouTube Studio dashboard
- Use the left sidebar to navigate different options
Take time to explore YouTube Studio, as this is mission control for your channel.
Enabling Comments on a Single Video
To enable comments on just one video:
- In YouTube Studio, click "Content" in the left menu
- Select the video you want to enable comments for
- Scroll down and click "SHOW MORE" to expand settings
- Under "Comments and ratings" choose your comment setting:
- Allow all comments
- Hold potentially inappropriate comments for review
- Disable comments
- Click "Save" to apply changes
- In the YouTube Studio app, tap "Content"
- Locate the video you want to enable comments for
- Tap the 3 dots by the video thumbnail and select "Edit Video"
- Tap "More Options" to expand settings
- Choose your comment setting under "Comment Visibility"
- Tap "Save" to confirm changes
Enabling comments at the video level allows you to customize based on each piece of content.
Adjusting Channel-Wide Comment Defaults
In addition to individual videos, you can also set a default comment setting for your channel:
- In YouTube Studio go to Settings > Community
- Under "Viewer comments" choose:
- Allow all comments by default
- Hold all comments for review by default
- Disable comments by default
- You can also block words and adjust filter sensitivity
- Click "Save" to update defaults
The global setting will apply to new uploads, but you can still customize individual videos.
Enabling Comments in Bulk
To enable comments on multiple existing videos:
- In YouTube Studio, go to Content
- Select the videos you want to update by checking boxes
- Click the "Edit" button
- Under "Comments and ratings" choose your comment setting
- Click "Save" to update all selected videos
This allows you to efficiently enable comments across multiple videos at once.
Best Practices for Managing Your YouTube Comment Section
Here are some tips to help you maintain a constructive, engaging comment section as an entrepreneur:
- Set clear guidelines up front – Outline what topics are fair game and what isn‘t tolerated so expectations are clear.
- Moderate regularly – Don‘t let negative comments derail your community. Review daily and hide/remove inappropriate content.
- Respond and engage – Reply to questions, acknowledge feedback, and further the conversation.
- Turn off commenting as needed – If a video becomes counterproductive, you can always restrict or disable comments.
- Appoint moderators – Enlist help from trusted viewers or team members to monitor comments at larger volumes.
- Remove spam – Stay vigilant against comment spam and bots. YouTube offers settings to help filter these out automatically.
- Analyze sentiment and engagement – Use YouTube Studio features to identify your top commenters and most popular topics of discussion.
Let the Conversations Flow
Enabling comments provides a space for community, conversations, and connections with your small business‘s audience on YouTube. By putting effort into moderation and engaging with commenters, you can create an environment where discussions thrive.
What strategies have you found effective for managing your YouTube channel‘s comment section as a small business owner? Let me know in the comments!