Facebook is used by over 2.9 billion people every month, making it an incredibly important platform for businesses, organizations, and personal connections. With so much riding on your Facebook posts, it‘s crucial to know how to edit them in case you need to fix typos, add context, or update old information.
This definitive guide will teach you how to expertly edit your Facebook posts on both desktop and mobile.
Why Editing Posts is Important on Facebook
- According to Sprout Social, 59% of consumers want brands to respond to comments on social media within one hour. Editing posts allows you to quickly update information and have a real-time dialogue.
- Edited posts drive 5x more engagement than unchanged posts, according to Convince&Convert research. Editing can breath new life into old content.
- 75% of Facebook usage happens on mobile devices, so editing via mobile is key. This guide covers both desktop and mobile editing.
- You only have up to 10 minutes to edit a post before the edit history starts being recorded. This guide will help you work within that window.
How to Edit a Post on Facebook (Step-by-Step)
Following these steps will allow you to seamlessly edit posts on Facebook:
Accessing the Post on Desktop
- Go to your Facebook profile page and locate the post you want to edit in your timeline.
- Click on the three dots (ellipsis icon) in the upper right corner of the post.
- Select Edit Post from the dropdown menu. This will open the editor.
Accessing the Post on Mobile
- Open the Facebook app and tap on your profile icon in the bottom right.
- Find the post you want to edit in your timeline.
- Tap on the three dots (ellipsis icon) in the upper right corner of the post.
- Choose Edit Post from the menu. The editing screen will open.
To edit text within a post:
- Highlight the text you want to change and make your edits, or delete and rewrite entire sections.
- You can add new text anywhere in the post by tapping where you want to write and typing normally.
- When you‘re finished editing, tap Save at the bottom to publish the edited post.
To change photos within a post:
- Tap on the photo you want to edit to open it.
- Tap the three dots in the upper right and choose Edit Photo.
- Make adjustments like cropping, adding filters, or rotating.
- Tap Save when you‘re finished to republish the post with the edited photo.
Changing videos in your posts is just as easy:
- Tap the video within your post to open it.
- Tap the three dots and select Edit Video.
- Make any trims, apply filters, or adjust orientation.
- Tap Save to update your post with the edited video.
You may also want to change post settings like the audience and tags:
- Tap the three dots and choose Edit Post.
- Tap Edit Settings.
- Adjust the audience, location tag, tagged people, etc.
- Tap Save to apply the setting changes.
Viewing Edit History
To view the edit history of a post:
- Tap the three dots on the post.
- Select View Edit History.
This displays every change made to the post with timestamps.
Facebook Post Editing Best Practices
Follow these expert tips when editing your Facebook posts:
- Proofread thoroughly before publishing to limit edits.
- Be transparent about changes by acknowledging them in the edited post.
- Avoid over-editing as it can diminish quality.
- Double check edits before saving to catch mistakes.
- Test edits first in a Word document for complex changes.
Editing Posts on Facebook Business Pages
You can also edit published posts on your Facebook Business pages:
- Go to your Facebook page and find the post.
- Click the three dots in the upper right corner.
- Choose Edit Post and make your changes.
- Click Save to republish the edited post.
Follow the same steps to edit page photos, videos, and settings.
Editing Comments on Facebook
In addition to posts, you can edit and delete comments on Facebook:
- To edit a comment, click the three dots above it, choose Edit, make changes, and click Save.
- To delete a comment, click the three dots, choose Delete, and confirm the deletion.
Learning how to expertly edit posts on Facebook is an invaluable skill for businesses, organizations, and personal users alike. With this comprehensive guide, you have the key strategies and best practices to seamlessly edit text, photos, videos, settings, and more on both desktop and mobile.
Leverage the power of editing to keep your Facebook content timely, relevant, and mistake-free. Your followers will love the real-time updates and engagement you can provide.