As a fellow entrepreneur, I know how important it is to leverage new digital platforms to connect with customers and grow your business. With over 1 billion monthly active users, TikTok presents a major opportunity for small business owners in 2023 to boost brand awareness and sales through strategic messaging techniques.
Key Benefits of Messaging Customers on TikTok
Compared to other social platforms, TikTok has one of the highest engagement rates – with 4 billion video views daily, your messages and content have huge visibility potential. Direct messaging allows you to:
- Drive traffic to your website or online store by sharing links directly with new followers
- Run targeted promotions and giveaways to incentivize your audience
- Build personalized customer relationships at scale with direct communication
- Answer customer questions and provide post-purchase support to drive loyalty
As social commerce takes off, TikTok messaging will only grow in importance as a way to increase conversions and sell products directly.
Key TikTok Statistics for Small Businesses:
- 90% of users access TikTok multiple times per day
- Avg user spends 52 mins per day on TikTok
- 500 million users engage with shopping content
Crafting Effective Cold Messages
While overt sales pitches rarely work well on TikTok, that doesn‘t mean you can‘t use messaging to acquire new leads and customers. The key is to come across as authentic and human.
Some best practices include:
- Personalize each message with something specific about their profile or content
- Ask a thoughtful question to start real dialog
- Offer value upfront, like an exclusive discount code for followers
I‘ve found success offering helpful business advice related to a viewer‘s content before making any ask. This positions you as an authoritative industry voice they can trust.
Creative Messaging Strategies for Engagement
Beyond cold outreach, TikTok messaging unlocks countless possibilities for creatively engaging your followers:
Promotions & Giveaways
- Share exclusive promo codes for followers only
- Run exciting contests and sweepstakes, announcing winners directly
- Offer limited-time flash sales broadcasts through messages
- Answer questions and resolve issues faster via direct communication
- Share helpful tutorials, sizing guides, or product demos through video messages
- Proactively notify customers of inventory issues, shipping delays
The options are endless when you leverage TikTok messaging creatively to promote your brand‘s value, delight customers, and drive more word-of-mouth traffic.
Balancing Messaging With Other Ownership Tasks
As a fellow small business owner, I definitely understand concerns about managing yet another messaging channel. The key is streamlining a process to prevent wasting too much time.
- Check messages in batches once or twice a day when it fits into your workflow
- Use TikTok messaging labels like the auto-reply to handle common questions at scale
- Designate specific team members to handle incoming messages and route issues
By taking some pressure off yourself as the solo face of customer messaging, you can strike the right balance for your business needs.
At the end of the day, TikTok messaging is simply too powerful a tool for small businesses to ignore in 2023. With some strategy and restraint, it can become an invaluable asset driving your next stage of revenue growth on one of the world‘s hottest new social platforms.
Let me know if you have any other questions!