As a social media consultant who works with dozens of small business clients, I know firsthand how important it is to curate an engaging Instagram profile. One way to showcase your brand story is through Instagram highlights – groups of stories that remain pinned to your profile.
But over time, some of those highlights may become outdated, irrelevant or no longer align with your brand strategy. As a profile evolves, old highlights need to be removed to keep things focused.
Yet many entrepreneurs don‘t realize how simple it is to delete highlights right from the Instagram app. In this in-depth guide, I‘ll provide small business owners with a step-by-step walkthrough on removing highlights, as well as insider tips on curating the perfect profile.
The Power of Instagram Highlights
Let‘s first look at some key stats that underscore the power of Instagram, especially for small business branding:
- More than 1 billion people use Instagram every month (Statista, 2022)
- 60% of users discover new products on Instagram (Facebook IQ, 2022)
- 72% of US businesses will use Instagram this year, spending an estimated $23 billion on advertising (Hootsuite, 2022)
Tapping into this highly engaged audience is crucial for small businesses. And Instagram highlights are an easy way to organize and display your best content.
As a social media consultant, I recommend small businesses use highlights to:
- Showcase products
- Promote current campaigns/sales
- Feature UGC and testimonials
- Share content from events
- Educate customers (tutorials, how-tos, etc)
But stale highlights that remain long after a campaign ends can reflect poorly on a brand. By regularly removing outdated highlights, small businesses can fine-tune their profile and keep their audience engaged.
Step-by-Step: Deleting Highlights on Instagram
Many entrepreneurs I work with are hesitant to delete highlights because they think it‘s a complex, technical process. But in reality, removing highlights takes just a few taps within the Instagram app.
Here is a simple, step-by-step walkthrough:
- Open the Instagram app and navigate to your profile page.
- Long press on the highlight you want to delete. This brings up an options menu.
- Tap "Delete Highlight" in the menu.
- Confirm you want to delete the highlight when prompted.
That‘s it! The highlight will vanish from your profile instantly. This works for both business accounts and personal profiles.
Pro Tip: Removing Individual Stories from a Highlight
Rather than deleting an entire highlight, you can also remove specific stories within a highlight.
Here‘s how to delete individual stories from a highlight:
- Tap on the highlight and select "Edit Highlight."
- Tap the stories you want to remove.
- Hit "Delete" in the bottom left corner.
- Tap "Done" to save the changes.
This allows you to refine highlights by removing outdated or irrelevant stories while keeping the rest intact.
Expert Tips for Managing Your Instagram Highlights
As a social media consultant for small businesses, I recommend these best practices for organizing and updating your highlights:
- Name highlights clearly – Help viewers understand what each highlight contains at a glance. For example, "Customer Testimonials" or "Meet Our Team."
- Delete stale highlights – Routinely remove outdated highlights that are no longer relevant. Keep things fresh.
- Curate strategically – Decide which highlights align with your current brand messaging and goals.
- Review regularly – Revisit highlights every few months to remove expired stories.
- Limit highlight count – Too many can feel cluttered. Stick to 5-10 highlights tops.
- Measure engagement – Track which highlights resonate most with your audience.
- Add new stories – Refresh highlights by incorporating new content every few weeks.
Key Takeaways: How to Delete Highlights on Instagram
As an Instagram expert for small businesses, my key takeaways for deleting highlights include:
- Highlights are a simple way to repurpose stories and organize your best content.
- Deleting highlights only takes a few taps – long press and hit "Delete."
- Regularly remove outdated or irrelevant highlights to keep your profile focused.
- You can also delete individual stories from a highlight without removing the entire highlight.
- Curate highlights strategically to showcase your brand story and engage your audience.
I hope this comprehensive guide from my perspective as a social media consultant provides the in-depth knowledge small business owners need to master their Instagram highlights! Please reach out if you need any assistance fine-tuning your Instagram presence.