As an entrepreneur, having your business Facebook page or ad account compromised can be devastating. But contacting Facebook Security quickly and effectively can help minimize the damage. Follow this comprehensive guide tailored to small business owners on how to reach Facebook Security and restore your access.
Before Contacting Facebook Security
Preparation is key before reaching out to Facebook Security about a compromised business account. Here are some best practices:
- Document relevant account details – Compile your page name, ad account numbers, page roles, and any billing information. Screenshot key info. This helps prove ownership to Facebook Security.
- Track suspicious activity – Note down dates/times, anomalous posts or ads, and sudden changes in page roles. Screenshot evidence to share with Facebook Security.
- Strengthen account security – Ensure you have two-factor authentication enabled, are using strong passwords, and have accurate contact info on file. Limiting vulnerabilities will aid investigation.
According to Social Media Today, over 25% of businesses surveyed experienced a social media security breach in the past year. Being proactive reduces risk substantially.
Step-by-Step Contacting Facebook Security
Once you‘ve gathered information about the compromised account, here are the detailed steps to contact Facebook Security through official channels:
Via the Help Center
- Go to the Facebook Help Center.
- Select “Report a Problem” > “Hacked Account.”
- On the next page, provide your full name, confirmed email/phone number on the account, high-level details of the issue, and attach screenshots demonstrating unauthorized access.
- Carefully review all info and submit the form.
- A member of the Facebook Security team will follow up via email within 1-2 business days. Provide any additional information requested to aid investigation.
Through the Report a Problem Tool
- Click the arrow icon in the top right of Facebook and choose “Report a Problem.”
- Select “Hacked Account” and fill out the form with your details and an overview of the unauthorized access.
- Attach files like screenshots that support your claim of a breach.
- Double check all information and submit the report.
- Watch for a follow up email from Facebook Security. Respond promptly to any questions that help advance investigation.
Via Direct Message
- Navigate to the Facebook Security Page.
- Click “Message” under the page’s cover photo.
- Write a detailed message explaining you believe your business Facebook page or ad account was compromised.
- Provide screenshots and specifics on unauthorized access by bad actors.
- Request that page admins escalate your report to the Security team for prompt investigation.
- Check back for a reply from Facebook Security via the page inbox.
No matter which channel you use, be sure to provide comprehensive information to facilitate quick resolution by Facebook teams.
After Contacting Facebook Security
Once you’ve submitted your report, here’s what to expect as next steps:
- Change passwords and enable 2FA – Even if you regain account access, change credentials immediately and turn on two-factor authentication.
- Monitor account activity – Keep close watch for any additional unusual behavior and document it. Report any new issues promptly.
- Respond to information requests – Reply quickly if Facebook Security asks for any other details to validate your claim.
- Complete account recovery steps – If provided, carefully follow specific instructions to fully restore access to your account and assets.
- Review privacy/security settings – Upon regaining access, audit settings for sharing, ads, apps and tighten down as needed.
- Connect social accounts to Facebook Protect – Adding additional security like two-factor authentication to your Facebook Protect enrolled Pages and ad accounts can prevent future attacks.
With diligence upon first contact and during the investigation process, Facebook Security can work most effectively to resolve your account security issues fully and prevent further attacks.
Key Takeaways for Entrepreneurs
Contacting Facebook Security quickly at the first sign of unauthorized access is crucial for protecting your business assets and mitigating fallout. Keep these tips in mind:
- Know exactly how to reach Facebook Security teams through the Help Center, Report a Problem tool, or direct page messaging.
- Have account specifics and evidence of breach ready to accelerate investigation.
- Strengthen account security before and after regaining access.
- Monitor closely for any additional unusual activity during and after investigation.
- Respond promptly to any requests from Facebook Security for more information.
- Follow recovery steps closely to fully restore asset and account access.
With the right information and persistence, Facebook’s security experts can help entrepreneurs recover from compromise, restore access, and implement precautions to avoid future attacks.