As a small business owner, keeping your technology tools streamlined leads to greater productivity. The Spotify queue feature lets us line up playlists and podcasts for uninterrupted listening. But queues can sometimes get cluttered with unwanted tracks or episodes. So learning how to clear the Spotify queue is an essential skill for optimizing your listening experience.
In this article, we will learn step-by-step how to clear your queue on Spotify on both desktop and mobile. With some tips from a power user along the way, you‘ll be queue clearing like a pro in no time!
Understanding How Spotify‘s Queue Works
The Spotify queue allows you to add songs, albums, or podcasts to a temporary list that plays sequentially after your currently playing content finishes. Queues are session-based, meaning they reset each time you close Spotify on that device.
The Spotify desktop queue.
Key facts about queues:
- Queues are device-specific – your phone‘s queue is separate from your computer‘s queue.
- Spotify Connect lets you control the queue from other devices. Add on your phone, and it plays on your desktop.
- Items play in the order you added them, but you can easily reorder.
Knowing how queues work across devices helps you better manage your listening experience. Now let‘s go through how to clear your queue on both desktop and mobile Spotify.
Step-by-Step: Clearing Your Full Queue
When you want to completely start over with a new queue, here is how to clear the full list:
- Open the Spotify desktop app on your computer.
- Click the "Queue" icon in the bottom right corner (it looks like a small play button and down arrow).
- Click the "Clear" text at the top of the queue list.
- Confirm you want to clear the full queue when prompted.
Clearing the full queue on Spotify desktop.
- Tap the "Now Playing" bar at the bottom to expand it.
- Tap the queue icon in the bottom right (three horizontal lines).
- Tap "Clear Queue".
- Confirm clearing on the pop-up message.
Clearing the full queue on Spotify mobile.
And that quickly, your Spotify queue will be completely empty and ready for new additions!
Removing Specific Tracks from Queue
You don‘t have to clear everything if you just want to remove some unwanted tracks or episodes. To remove an individual item from the queue:
- Right click the track in your queue and select "Remove from Queue".
- Swipe left on any track and tap "Remove".
This allows you to selectively prune your queue while keeping other content in place.
Pro Tip: Save Songs Using Playlists
Don‘t want to lose a song completely in a queue clear? Add it to a playlist or your Spotify library to retrieve it later!
As a Spotify premium power user, I rely on playlists to organize my favorite tracks. When my queue gets cluttered, I know those songs are safely stored in named playlists for future listening.
When to Clear Your Queue
Now that you know how to clear your Spotify queue, here are some common reasons you may want to:
- Starting a new activity – Clear your queue to set the mood when cooking, exercising, working, relaxing, etc.
- Refreshing unexpected songs – Queues can sometimes turn random after you finish a playlist.
- Removing unwanted recommendations – Clear queue to remove clutter from Spotify‘s suggested songs.
- Sharing device access – Clear queue before handing your phone to someone else to use.
- Transitioning moods – Change the vibe by clearing between intense focus work and casual listening.
- Beginning a road trip – Start a drive with a fresh queue lined up and ready to go.
Take control of your Spotify listening experience by clearing unwanted songs and podcasts from your queue. Follow the steps in this guide for smooth, clutter-free listening anytime, anywhere. Let us know if you have any other Spotify power user tips to share!