As a social media consultant for small businesses, I often get asked how to make Instagram stories stand out. One of my top tips is to change the background color. The default white background blends into the Instagram interface, but a colored background makes your story pop.
In this article, I‘ll provide a step-by-step guide on how to change the background color of an Instagram story, along with pro tips and benefits.
Why You Should Change the Instagram Story Background Color
Here are some key reasons to change up your story background:
- Increased Engagement: According to Social Insider, colored backgrounds can boost engagement by up to 30% compared to plain white backgrounds. The bolder your color, the more eye-catching your story becomes.
- Branding: Matching the background color to your brand palette is an easy way to reinforce brand recognition. For example, Tiffany & Co. uses their signature robin egg blue.
- Creative Expression: You can get creative and use backgrounds to categorize different story content types, like yellow for sales announcements or gradient orange for seasonal pumpkins spice lattes.
- Enhanced Readability: Proper color use also improves readability, for example, dark text on a light background.
Step-By-Step Guide to Changing the Background Color
Follow these simple steps to change your Instagram story background:
Access the Instagram Camera
From your Instagram feed, either:
- Tap the camera icon in the top left
- Or swipe right to open the stories camera
Capture or Upload Content
Select an image or video for your story:
- Capture something new directly in the Instagram camera
- Upload existing content from your camera roll
Select the "Draw" Tool
Tap the sticker icon at the top of the screen, then select the Draw tool (it looks like a marker).
Choose a Color
At the bottom of the screen you‘ll see a row of color options. Tap and hold any color to preview it.
Use the color dropper tool to select a specific color from your image instead.
Fill the Entire Background
After picking a color, tap and hold the screen until the entire background is filled.
Add Image Sticker
Tap the sticker icon again and select your photo or video from the bottom tray. Resize and position it over the color background.
And that‘s it! The background color will remain as you add text, stickers, and other creative elements.
Pro Tips for Eye-Catching Color Use
As a social media consultant, I recommend keeping these tips in mind:
- Limit to 1-2 colors per story for visual consistency
- Ensure sufficient contrast between background and text colors
- Match colors to your brand palette when possible
- Try gradients or patterns for extra flair
- Use colors consistently to categorize story content types
Changing your Instagram story background color is an impactful yet simple way to upgrade your visual social media presence. Don‘t be afraid to experiment with bold colors and find a style that resonates with your audience. Feel free to reach out if you need any further tips or advice!