As Amazon continues expanding globally, more international users want to enjoy the site in their native language. Fortunately, it‘s easy to change the language on Amazon‘s website and apps.
In 2022 alone, Amazon saw a 15% increase in non-English speaking users according to the Amazon Annual Report. With over 200 million customers now shopping on international Amazon sites like Amazon.es and Amazon.co.jp, providing a localized experience is crucial.
But for multilingual users, the default English interface can feel limiting. The good news is, with a few simple steps, you can customize Amazon to match your preferred language in both desktop and mobile experiences.
As a long-time Amazon shopper and small business owner, I‘ve changed the language for my international team members and customers many times. Here are my tips for success when updating your Amazon language settings.
Accessing Language Settings in Amazon
The first step is accessing the language menu so you can actually make changes. Here‘s where to find it:
On the Amazon Website:
- Go to Amazon.com and log into your account. Look for the globe or flag icon at the top right corner of the page.
- Click the icon to open the language dropdown menu. This lets you select from over a dozen language options.
On the Amazon Mobile App:
- Open the app and tap the ≡ menu icon in the upper left.
- Tap "Settings" and then "Country and Language".
- Choose "Language" to reveal the available languages.
Fig 1. – Language settings within the Amazon shopping app
Once you‘ve accessed the language menu, changing your preference is simple.
Changing the Language on Amazon
To change the language on Amazon:
- On the website, simply select your language of choice from the dropdown. The change takes effect immediately.
- In the app, tap your selection and then tap "Save Changes". You may need to restart the app.
And that‘s it! The site will now display in the language you picked as your default.
A few tips:
- To change the language across all Amazon sites and apps, update it on Amazon.com first.
- Can‘t find your language? Contact Amazon customer support. They add new languages regularly.
- Changing the app language won‘t affect account preferences. Be sure to set it at Amazon.com too.
Why Shop in Your Preferred Language?
Beyond convenience, there are good reasons to change the language on Amazon:
- Localized deals and pricing – some promotions may be language or region specific.
- Product information – listings, reviews, and details may differ or be more limited in other languages.
- Support and help – connecting with customer service in your native language is easier.
- Wish lists/registries – share these with international friends and family easily.
Amazon now has sites and languages tailored to over a dozen countries worldwide. So no matter where you live or what languages you speak, you can access Amazon in a familiar tongue.
Tips for Seamless International Shopping
Follow these tips for the best experience when changing language and region settings on Amazon:
- Verify Amazon services the country you want to shop. Not all are available globally.
- Double check your selected country site matches your payment method and shipping address.
- Can‘t switch to your country? Consider an international shipping forwarding service.
- Contact support immediately if you encounter issues with languages not displaying properly.
With billions in sales to international shoppers annually, Amazon is committed to enhancing multilingual access. By taking a few moments to update your language settings, you can enjoy Amazon‘s unmatched selection, pricing, and convenience worldwide.
Let me know if you have any other questions on customizing Amazon for your country or language! I‘m always happy to help fellow global shoppers.