Dr. Benjamin Carson is a world-renowned neurosurgeon, bestselling author, and former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. His impressive career achievements have led him to amass an estimated net worth of $30 million. As a fellow entrepreneur, I admire Carson‘s journey from humble beginnings to professional and financial success. In this article, we will analyze how he built his wealth over the years.
Overcoming Early Hardships to Excel in Medicine
Carson was born in 1951 in inner-city Detroit. His mother, though single and working multiple jobs, pushed Carson and his brother to strive for excellence in education. This work ethic paved the way for Carson to attend Yale University and, later, the University of Michigan Medical School.
Although he initially struggled academically, Carson persevered. He graduated medical school in 1977 and completed his neurosurgery residency at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, MD.
Pioneering Neurosurgeon with Groundbreaking Innovations
Carson rapidly rose to prominence as a neurosurgeon at Johns Hopkins Hospital. By age 33, he was appointed the hospital‘s youngest major division director, serving as Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery.
- Carson spearheaded medical innovations like the first successful separation of conjoined twins joined at the head.
- He operated on around 300 children per year for conditions ranging from tumors to traumatic brain injuries.
- His 1987 landmark surgery on the Binder twins brought him international acclaim.
- Carson held multiple professorships and directed the Craniofacial Center.
At the height of his career, he earned over $4 million in annual income from his neurosurgery practice. His expertise and steady hands saved hundreds of lives over his storied career.
Expanding His Reach Through Writing and Public Speaking
Carson has authored numerous bestselling books, including his 1996 autobiography Gifted Hands which sold over 2 million copies and was turned into a television movie. His other titles include The Big Picture (1999), Take the Risk (2008), America the Beautiful (2012), and One Nation (2014).
He has also toured as a public speaker, including his infamous criticism of President Obama‘s policies at the 2013 National Prayer Breakfast. This propelled him into the media spotlight as a conservative political voice. Between book royalties and public speaking fees, Carson‘s income steadily grew through these endeavors.
Breakdown of Dr. Carson‘s $30 Million Net Worth
As of 2023, sources estimate Dr. Ben Carson‘s net worth at $30 million. Here is a breakdown of his income sources over his prolific career:
- Neurosurgery Career: Estimated over $4 million annually at his peak; likely over $10+ million in total earnings
- Book Sales: Over 2 million copies sold; likely generated millions in royalties
- Speaking Engagements: Average of $50,000 – $100,000 per speech, according to reports
- 2016 Presidential Campaign: Raised over $58 million in campaign funds
- Investments and Assets: Carson likely has invested in stocks, bonds, and real estate over the years
Carson‘s wealth has afforded him the ability to contribute generously to charity over the years. His nonprofit Carson Scholars Fund has awarded over $7 million in scholarships to students.
Current Endeavors and Post-Politics Plans
From 2017 to 2021, Carson served in former President Donald Trump‘s cabinet as Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. He earned $199,700 annually in that role.
Now in his 70s, Carson is well-positioned to enjoy his wealth and successful legacy. Reports suggest he may continue writing and speaking publicly. As he reflects back on his life, he can feel proud of overcoming adversity and achieving remarkable success in medicine, politics, and finances.